Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Public Assault in Port Harcourt

My Guy, I believe peace has returned to your city - that city you loved so much that you refused to eat 'kpomo' and 'boli' with me, so you can catch your flight the other day.

Bros, you can say that again. This is home. But you need to be here to see what the citizens of your country that voted for democracy are going through.

What is the matter? By the way I saw people raising up their hands in the air on television. Is that the new style in PH?

I always know that you have that rare gift of insight, intuition or what I would I call it. That is the point. We hear the 'home grown' militants have been flushed out of the city, but your fellow citizens are now being subjected to in-human treatment by other fellow citizens. A Pastor friend of mine calls it - Public Assault - that is why I have used it in the title of this message.

But I have always warned you that your people are going to suffer for the sins of those miscreants among you. May be the militants are still 'walking' side by side with normal people - you can never tell. People learn very easily these days from television you know. You guys may try to demonstrate 'Iraq' here in Nigeria. I even hear that your 'juju' - Egbesu - can make your people disappear.

So that explains why women with little babies, and even my three year old girl is asked to get out of the car, walk across the check-point with hands up in the air. Of course she was not amused, a bit confused but very curious.

And what did you have to tell her?

We had a conversation because I did not have the answers to her queries. Let me just narrate:
Daddy! why is every body saying alleluia!!? No they are not saying alleluia they are putting up their hands to GOD. But we are not in church. No, everywhere is church now because anything can happen with those guys carrying those 'iron sticks'. You mean the 'guns'? Well since you know what they are you had better obey. But daddy.......Obey please.....

So what happened later?

The little girl has to walk the 100 meters stretch to get back to her daddy's car. And was it fun?At some point, when she has to do the same routine in five places before getting to where she wanted that ice-cream badly.

Poor girl, she has to suffer for the foolishness of some senseless adults. So what is the way forward?

This form of human degradation, humiliation and suffering must stop forthwith. Otherwise there may be more casualties from the civilian population.

What do you mean - civilian resistance?

No Bros, but some 'none violence disobedience', and you know your people - they will react and some 'kill and go action' may follow.

Thanks My Guy for that food for ACTION. I will keep on thinking about it.

Bros, ACT NOW delay may be dangerous

1 comment:

tarry2020 said...

Sir,
I tried posting my reaction on the net but the server was down. Also, The letterings are in German/Dutch? So I could not post it. Hence my resort to the email.

There is an adage that 'He who brings home insect infested faggots should not complain when visited by lizards'.

We brought this upon ourselves by not forcing the powers that be to act right at the right time. Rather we were applauding their irresponsive to our suffering and making do with the crumbs falling off their tables.

Let us bear the raising of hands and indecent search methods for now. While well meaning Sons of the soil seek ethical ways of bringing down our hands in a final alleluia.
Regards,
Diki.